I have lots of hobbies that I enjoy, but none as much as quilting. There is a strange joy I get from making something and watching it appear from nothing. I don't ever track how long it takes to make a quilt, I just enjoy each part for what it is. As I am working, I tend to spread the bits around on the sofa so I can see how it is coming together. Chula has a 100% track record of trying out all the quilts! It is like a stamp of approval.
Right now, I am making a quilt for Heather and her husband, Mauricio. It is my wedding gift for them.... even though they got married almost 3 years ago!
I bought the fabric before they got married and it was tucked away in a safe place and then it moved to London with me. To be honest, I wasn't sure what it was going to look like because I have never made a quilt like this before. It has been so fun watching it come to life. The pattern is called Sunshine and Shadows. I think it represents how marriage is a journey. We have good times in our life and hard times, but if we stick together we come out again to the sunshine. This blog entry is basically an initial glance for Heather and Mauricio.
I found a great use for our drying rack as I tried to keep the strips organized.
Step 2: Sew the strips together into various orders.
Step 3: Slice the joined strips into 2 inch sections.
Step 4: Join the sections, join more sections, join the sections of the sections.
These steps finish the design section of the top. Here is a peak at the process....
I have not had a chance to join the sections and sections together yet. But I have set them out on the couch and they look really cool! I will have a chance to join them all up next week and you will get to see them then. Sorry to be such a tease!
Mai- LOVE the quilt! It is looking awesome, and I can't wait to see the final product! Thanks for putting this little blog entry up just for us. You describe your hobby so well! And you're very talented at it. :) Your quilt will be one of our most special wedding presents! Thank you for all the time and love you put into making it for us.
ReplyDelete