Wednesday, 17 February 2010

Istanbul - Day 3, Wednesday

Today I saw everything.... and nothing! But these boys were a real highlight. I am calling them my little lost saviors. (Yes, that is blatant foreshadowing.)

The day started out normally. Up, breakfast in the hotel, headed out for a relaxing day. Because I did so much walking yesterday, I decided to take the tram to my first destination of the day. I headed towards the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofiya because that is also where the Mosaic Museum is located. I was trying to pack in some of the smaller destinations today because Lenny and I will hit the major ones together.
I loved the Mosaic Museum. I don't know what it is about all the little pieces fitting together to make a picture that I love so much, but I think mosaics are incredible. Do I love them because I am a quilter or do I love quilts for the same reason I love mosaics?? Hard to know.
Being around this part of town makes you feel like you are friends with the world. Everyone is SO nice and friendly. :) I can't count the number of times I heard, "Miss. Just one question... where are you from?" As you can guess, this one question is followed with another one. I saw people posing as tourists just to start up a conversation... before you know it, they want to show you their... carpets! I did find myself in a store... with a cup of Turkish tea... being shown all the carpets I could ever dream of! The nice man assured me "even if you don't buy. we still friends." I did feel like everyone was very friendly and I didn't feel too much pressure. But they are quick to strike up a conversation and get you in their store. After pretending to be deaf, I found myself wishing to be away from the main tourist areas.
I thought it would be nice to follow up the Mosaic Museum with the Kariye Muzesi which is an old mosque that has been turned into a museum. It is on the 'must see' list, but out in a section of town away from the rest of the sights. Seemed like a perfect idea. Back on the tram.... then the metro. Before I headed off to find my Muzesi, I bought one of the bread circles I see sold everywhere. A little nourishment for the road ~ and what a road it was! Somehow I found myself walking along a dirt road with no sidewalk. This is really off the beaten path! I knew I was taking the road less traveled and I felt like a real little adventurer.... until I got to the Kariye Muzesi and discovered it was CLOSED. All this work and no reward? Ah, bummer. Okay... where to next?
I am going to skip through about 2 hours of looking for places to go. Getting there and finding out they were closed or I couldn't find them. Truth be told, there were a few moments of despair. But deep down I knew I would be fine... and I was getting the best experience for seeing real Turkish life. I was certainly away from the tourist district. (Teach me to watch what I wish for!) Thank goodness everyone was very nice because I had to stop every 10 steps or so and ask where I was.
I finally made my way back to the Golden Horn and the coast line. From there I knew how to get back to the hotel. I stopped once to rest my feet and have an amazing Mediterranean Salad with some Apple Tea. Delicious!
But, my 'take it easy' day resulted in just seeing the Mosaic Museum... and a whooping 8.9 miles on the pedometer. Hummm. Not what I was planning for. I finished off the day with some pain killers. I'll leave you to imagine me asking for that... think charades!
Tonight, Lenny arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment