Sunday, 21 June 2009

Graduates

In the summer of 2008, Lenny and I got married and I moved to London for us to start our married life together.  Lenny got us an adorable "flat" at 8A Marlborough Road in Richmond. The last year has flown by and I know the next year will fly by too, so I would like to save a record of our amazing time here in London.  I would also love to share our fun in this blog with our close family and friends back home in the US.  Here are some of the amazing details of our life journey during 2008-2010. 

Rewind to August, 2008. I had just arrived in London. School was about to start. I was desperately looking for a job. It wasn't enough to teach in a foreign country, or to switch to secondary school, no.... when the opportunity came, I signed on to teach maths (as it is called in the UK) AND science in a public school to kids 11-16. In most of the UK they set classes by ability. My schedule was set before I was hired, so as you can guess I got a mix of classes they were willing to give an unknown long term sub!

Despite my schedule, my year 11 students won my heart this year! They were the only class I saw everyday and there were just a handful of students- maybe 10 on a good day. By the end of the year we had developed a really great bond. It was amazing to watch them go from difficult year 11 students putting on a front because they want to be tough, to caring students who made jokes with me every day, to nervous about taking their exams. As their year came to a close, I got to see my favorite students get all dressed up and go to prom. They were so adorable! Congrats to my year 11 students this year! You not only finished Orleans Park with amazing grace, but you also gave me a wonderful welcome to London!

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Maia, you look just like one of your students! I probably couldn't point you out in the crowd if I didn't already know which one was you. :)

    Kids...aren't they the great equalizer? Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. who's the cute little girl in the front? looks like she needs some Vitamin D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweetie,

    Loved the whole blog. What a great way to keep everyone informed and to have a journal of your time in England. Love you!

    ReplyDelete